Wednesday 28 November 2007

Some Plans


When I made my first non-folding 5" x 4" camera I didn't bother with plans. I just made parts to fit as I went along. In order to make a folding version though, I decided to draw the parts up on CAD to ensure that everything fitted together properly. In order to get an idea of the mechanisms involved to get a camera to fold up properly, I looked at a lot of manufacturers websites and some DIY camera builders' websites.
One of the best resources for DIY view camera construction I have found is http://www.raymentkirbycameras.co.uk/index.htm
The 'Workshop' section shows construction ideas and there is a simple downloadable plan which I have used to base my plans on.
The back is basically a box 180mm x 180mm and 50mm deep. It is made from 6mm thick wood giving an internal dimension of 168mm x 168mm. I made the 'C' plates to hold the rear of the bellows (as described below) to comfortably fit into this space.
I was initially going to cut down the plastic moulding at the front of the bellows slightly but in the end I decided to keep them standard. That way they can easily be replaced if neccesary (although four holes do need to be drilled in the corners).
The front mounting plate is 139mm x 139mm so allowing for an opening of 140mm x 140mm and using 6mm thick wood, I ended up with a front 152mm square. This is larger than most folding view cameras but as I am only going to use limited movements i.e. front rise and/or tilt, I don't think it's going to be a problem.
The folding mechanisms for front and rear are based on the design in Rayment Kirby's website as is the focussing bed but with a few modifications of my own.
If anyone is interested, I have some Autocad drawings which I could send to you in either DWG or DXF format.

4 comments:

timlawrence said...

please could i have a copy of the plans you mention

Unknown said...

Id also love to have my hands on those autocad files, im trying to do the exact same thing right now. Having those files would be an interesting thing to be able to work with.

PhilMc said...

Hi, are those plans still available as they sound interesting?
Cheers

Steve Smith said...

I have not looked at this blog for a while.

If you want a copy of the plans (in AutoCad DXF format) please send a request to steve.smith.stuff (at) gmail.com